Fire Damage Do's and Don'ts
When homeowners or commercial property owners deal with a fire in their home or business it can be overwhelming event. It’s crucial, though, to start your fire damage cleanup and restoration process as soon as possible, to get your life back to normal.
Rather than running to the store to buy cleaning products, mops, and buckets yourself, you need to rely on the experts to handle the situation. There are specific steps the professionals will follow to restore your property and contents to their preloss condition.
Here are some do's and don'ts that we suggest:
- Even if everything looks safe and clear to you, don’t enter your property after a fire until a professional has told you it’s safe to do so. Not only could your structure be unstable, but fires can start again — even after they appear to be out.
- Take photos for evidence of the fire damage this will help when it comes to dealing with your insurance company.
- Call your insurance, in order to get the ball rolling on fire damage assessment.
- Call your local restoration company, to help with fire damage cleanup and repair.
- Limit movement inside the building, this will stop soot particles from spreading.
- If the weather allows, open windows and doors for ventilation.
- Remove all clothing from the property and have it cleaned by professional fire damage restoration cleaners, not just a dry cleaner.
- Enter the building before the fire department gives you the go-ahead, even if it looks safe.
- Start to clean or wipe residue from walls, ceilings, and other surfaces. Everything needs to be assessed by your insurer first.
- Use or try to clean carpets or furnishings impacted by smoke residues or debris until they are professionally cleaned.
- Use food items or canned goods that were exposed to heat or fire.
- Turn on the water, electric, or gas until professionally checked
If it’s not handled correctly the residue left behind after fire damage may cause health problems . Only trained experts with professional equipment can ensure fire damage restoration is done safely and thoroughly.