Water Damage From a Pipe Leak
Pipe leaks are a common thing to happen in any home. They can cause a lot of damage if not taken care of quickly. Luckily, most of these types of leaks can be found quickly.
Water damage from this type of leak within the walls ranges from small, localized stains and soft spots to large areas of soft wood and problems with flooring, tile, and caulking around the leaking pipe. Water damage of this type can be found around toilets, tubs, and sinks, and is caused by the water pipes or the drainage pipes.
Signs to look for in Pipe Leaks:
Depending on where the pipe leak is coming from, there can be a few different signs of water damage that can indicate where the leak is and how severe it is. The wood in the cabinet under the bathroom or kitchen sink is a usual place to find some water damage if there is a leak in the drainage pipe. If there is any softness, there is a leaky pipe under your sink.
The drain in your tub is a bit of a different story since the drainpipe is not easily exposed. A good place to start is the other side of the wall that the tub is on. This wall and the floor around it may seem soft and damp after a shower. This usually means that the water is draining improperly and seeping into the wood, drywall, and flooring around the tub.
Does it take long for water damage to start appearing?
Water damage from burst pipes can be spotted almost instantly in most cases. In the instance of a sink drain leaking, you will see the wood softening and discoloring in the cabinet under the bathroom or kitchen countertop after a few hours of dripping. The signs show right away, but unless you look for them regularly, you may not catch it until later.
You will be able to find a tub drain leak right away in some cases. However, in most cases, it could take months to a year to notice any water damage. The wood and insulation in the wall will soak up most of the water and soften for a while before the drywall and paint begin to show signs of water damage.
What to do to fix a pipe leak
Pipe leaks from under the sink are easy to repair. This repair usually just entails replacing the pipe under the sink. In some fringe cases, the pipe is fine, and the rubber seals are the only thing that needs to be replaced.
Pipe leaks from the tub drain are much more complicated to repair. Most of the time, they require a professional team to take care of the repair. With all the different types of materials involved, the skill needed to do the repair goes up significantly.
Tips of what to do and what not to do after a fire damage.
Tips of what to do and what not to do after a fire damage
- Make small movements in the home to prevent soot from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Make sure your hands are clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or rags that you may not use anymore to cover carpet traffic areas.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open if the power goes out.
- Wash plants that are in the house on both sides of leaves.
- Change the filters for your HVAC units
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us first since it can increase the damage.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water should be disposed if they got damaged.
- Ceiling fixtures should not get turned on if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Garments cannot go to an ordinary dry cleaner. There are licensed businesses that know how to fully restore garments from a fire damage.
Tips to protect your hardwood floor from water
Wet wood floor
The biggest enemy for hardwood floors is water. After a flood, your best chance of recovering your hardwood floor is to contact a professional restoration company immediately. However, failing to protect your floor from moisture or spills daily, can also cause irremediable damage. Here is what you can do to keep your hardwood floor dry and undamaged:
- Control the humidity in your home. Be aware that during the summer, air tends to be moister and during the winter, the air is dryer than usual. Both moist and dry air can affect wood, so adjust your humidifier accordingly.
- The sealant on your hardwood floor must be periodically resealed. Wax sealants should be refinished annually. Polyurethane sealants (oil or water based) last longer and only require maintenance every few years.
- Cleaning hardwood floors use a quality product intended specifically for hardwood floors. Make sure you do not leave pools or puddles of liquid, no matter how small, on your floor. Do not soak the mop head or the cloth you are using; instead, only dampen them a little.
For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact your local SERVPRO of Atascadero & Paso Robles office.
How can SERVPRO of Atascadero & Paso Robles help you with damage?
It is never a good time for a disaster to happen and when it does happen chances are you already have so much on your plate. There is a chance you may be overwhelmed with stress from damages and trying to figure out how to get the repairs going.
How can SERVPRO of Atascadero & Paso Robles help you?
When you experience a disaster please call SERVPRO of Atascadero & Paso Robles, the longer you wait to call professionals for disaster relief clean up the more secondary damages can begin to form.
- We will be in direct contact with the adjuster for approvals and updates, so you do not have to.
- We also can schedule any necessary testing, abatement, storage pod, and dumpster deliveries.
- Not all people realize how important it is to stay in contact with their adjuster throughout the mitigation process. Your adjuster should be able to give you the information about how the claim process works if you have a deductible and how the payment process works.
- Insured have the right to choose any contractor or mitigation specialist, not just the one the insurance company suggests. Many people think that the only choice they have is the one company the insurance provider refers to. However, that is not true. The Insured always has a choice
How to prepare for Commercial Water Damage
Protect your commercial property.
When anyone own a business, you have a bit of pressure on your shoulders to protect your personal assets as well as the assets and information of your clients. Here are some ways that SERVPRO of Atascadero suggest to protect yourself from a commercial water damage on your property.
- Backup Computers – the most necessary thing you can do!
- File Paperwork – sometimes computers aren’t reliable and having paper backups can save you in case computers can’t be saved.
- Ventilation – this can help with microbial growth problems later on after a water damage and keeps your office air dry.
There isn’t a guarantee that you will always be safe from water damage but if you are prepared it can make the headache a lot easier. When it’s time always call SERVPRO of Atascadero, we understand that you need to get back into business quick and we will work with you to make that happen. Keeping not only you but your customers satisfied!
So give us a call at (805)541-1271.
How SERVPRO helps when a storm hits
SERVPRO of Atascadero specializes in storm and flood damage restoration throughout the north part of the Central Coast. Our technicians are highly trained and they use specialized equipment in order to restore your property to its pre-storm condition. Which will bring a sense of relief knowing that we are able to do that to your property.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost. We are available 24/7 in order to help you out.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When Storms hit weather you we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams are strategically located throughout the United States.
Steps to prevent a rainstorm from creating a extensive damage to your property.
Keep up with the maintenance of your property.
- Increase grade around your property: The dirt around the home should be sloped away from the house to divert water away. Very simply, borrow dirt from three feet away from the structure, and toss it against the side of the house thus creating a slope.
- Rain Gutters: Schedule a licensed professional to clean gutters annually. A clogged rain gutter can send water cascading down the exterior wall, which can result in water entering the interior walls.
- Rerouting down spouts: In a quick run to the local hardware store, homeowners can find a black, plastic corrugated 6-inch hose that fits around the base of the downspout. This device carries water away from the house, preventing it from seeping down into the foundation.
- Maintain you roof: Where rain is concerned, the roof is the first line of defense. One small tear in a rubber membrane or crack in a tin roof, or compromise in the plywood structure of the roof can prove disastrous for the entire interior of the home. But regular maintenance can preserve the life of the roof. Have a roofer check out your home every five years.
- Repair damaged windows: Proper window installation and maintenance is imperative. Modern windows are fitted with wells and drains designed to help direct water outside the house. Improper caulking can prove disastrous by sending water into the house that should be draining away from the window.
- Clean any debris: Especially during spring and fall seasons, when leaves start to fall, it is critical to diligently sweep outdoor surfaces weekly, especially patios and door wells to prevent the collection of debris clogging exterior drains.
Differences in thunderstorms
Thunderstorms are considered severe if it produces hail at least 1 inch in diameter or has wind gusts of at least 58 miles per hour. Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which has more fatalities each year than tornadoes or hurricanes. Heavy rain from thunderstorms can cause flash flooding, and high winds can damage homes and blow down trees and utility poles, causing widespread power outages.
Know the Difference
Thunderstorm Watch - Severe thunderstorms are possible in and near the watch area. Stay informed and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm warning is issued.
Thunderstorm Warning - Severe weather has been reported by spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property.
Every year people are killed or seriously injured by severe thunderstorms despite any advance warning. While some did not hear the warning, others heard the warning and did not pay attention to it. Keep yourself informed and with the useful information in this section, combined with timely watches and warnings about severe weather, may be able to help you.
SERVPRO of Atascadero believes in giving our customers the best service and professionalism.
SERVPRO of Atascadero is always here to help.
Ongoing training allow us to hold the highly respected Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) in Fire and Water Damage Restoration.
SERVPRO of Atascadero also offers popular continuing education courses designed to educate, entertain and inform insurance producers, agents and adjusters in the latest trends and state-of-the-art best practices of fire, water and mold damage repair and restoration incidents experienced by their property casualty claims customers.
Because we are a SERVPRO franchise our ability to scale people, equipment and resources is exceptional in the Central Coast. From a leaking toilet in a home to commercial large loss disasters we can quickly scale the scope and volume of resource requirements. Our ability to produce desired recovery results for our customers includes:
- The prompt handling of insurance claims through the SERVPRO National Call Center.
- Job process and best practices accountability from the first moment a customer picks up the phone and calls us to the finished dry, clean and restored property.
- Documentation requirements for every detail of a job – from start to finish.
- We serve insurance adjusters and their clients.
Reasons why families in our community trust SERVPRO.
SERVPRO of Atascadero
The Central Coast can bring many different weather conditions producing fire, flooding, and mold on top of unexpected incidents that can take place. When these events happen to your home, the anxiety and stress about the damaged conditions can last much longer. Our trustworthy and highly trained SERVPRO technicians use their training help make your recovery from tragedies, stress free and organized. We understand that safety and communication with your family is key, and it is maintained throughout the entirety of the restoration and recovery process.
Our business staffing model is extremely strict and selective through the background evaluation and training process. We always look at every situation as if we personally are going through the disaster. Our goal is to make sure all customers have a seamless, stress-free experience when disaster strikes.
Let our team of professional’s help eliminate concerns when it comes to navigating your insurance claims with agents and adjusters. SERVPRO’s experts can guide your family in the right direction with both the work we complete and the outside professionals that we network with such as, framers, plumbers and electricians.